|GE Smallworld GIS - technology for AM/FM/GIS and SRP|
For GIS/AM/FM or for SRP systems, we are using GE Smallworld GIS, ORACLE RDBMS and ORACLE Spatial,, Solutions Business Manager, MapInfo or Bentley Systems sw technologies.
GE Smallworld (GE Energy) is the most powerful automated mapping/facilities management (AM/FM) product on the market today. Developed using 1990s technology, it delivers comprehensive core functionality right out of the box. Where customization is required, GE Smallworld GIS provides a powerful object-oriented development environment.
GE Smallworld GIS also offers concurrent user database access, an advanced transaction management technique, and integration across multiple system platforms, running on UNIX as well as Microsoft Windows NT/2000/2003/XP operating systems. Utilities around the world are realizing that Smallworld is the next generation of GIS. By rethinking GIS from the ground up, Smallworld has solved the problems stemming from four fundamental GIS obstacles:
– sophisticated and open development environment, the key element of which is Smallworld Magik, an interactive object-oriented programming language
Features & Benefits
Usability & Business Process Support
Focus on business process and operational efficiency has created a revolutionary look and feel based on industry standards and tools. New users can complete routine tasks more efficiently, reducing operational costs and facilitating faster introduction of business-critical applications.
– Improved productivity through faster keyboard interaction
– Faster learning for new users and quicker adoption of new applications
– Single-click access to key features
– More efficient use of screen space
– Simple configuration of specific user tasks
– Development tools for building standard interfaces
– Simplified plotting including plot series and PDF generation
– User-focused ad hoc querying including wizards for occasional users
– Ability to export data to other applications
– Locally extensible, industry-standard HTML help
Taking Data to the User
Smallworld 4 is designed for remote access, providing the benefits of Smallworld technology to the workforce in the field. Timely access to accurate data in the field improves productivity, reduces wasted trips and enhances operational safety.
– Access to data where you want it, when you want it
– Detached and wireless access
– Flexible data distribution to match business processes
– Optimized for field workers and appropriate hardware
– Fewer site visits and windshield time
– Increased safety through access to accurate data in the field
– Increased data accuracy through field data audit and update
– Accurate job planning: the right tools, spares and skills in the right place at the right time
– Built-in quality assurance
Future-Proof Technology & Performance
State-of-the-art architecture propels the only technology base designed exclusively for geospatial applications into the next generation. Clean encapsulation of optimized, reusable application components enables rapid development. The resulting reduction in custom code drives down ongoing maintenance and upgrade costs. Code restructuring and enhanced integration capability lead to faster, more reliable plug-and-play applications.
– Proven, scalable, robust technology
– Greater emphasis on early user feedback in design phase
– Reusable code and design for delivering process-focused applications
– Common application components: build once, use many times
– Reduced custom code (60 percent reduction across Smallworld's own product set)
– Reduced total cost of ownership through standard components (reduced maintenance and implementation costs)
– Reliable plug-and-play applications
– Authorization controlled by a predicate (spatial authorization)
– Improved plot performance for large format images
– Integration ready: EAI/SBI/SIAS (GML/WMS)
Compatibility at a Glance
Smallworld 5 eliminates confusion over product compatibility. Simplified release numbering means all applications designated version 5 work with Smallworld 5, leveraging its powerful architecture. Portfolio releases support product rollout planning and interoperability. In addition, easy-to-understand migration and adoption routes support corporate planning.
The Smallworld 5 Product Suite Portfolio
portfolio consists of
the following key modules:
Smallworld Geospatial Software Integration With Oracle Applicatons
GE's Smallworld geospatial software suite, designed specifically to manage network facilities, offers flexible and effective solutions for integrating with Oracle products. Oracle application-based organizations can maximize their Oracle investment and realize the benefits of GE powerful network solution for effective, complete, and lower-cost management of their data and facility assets.
GE's seamless integration strategy with Oracle provides key benefits to the network, the utility industry and other customers:
– Lower cost of ownership through supported, integrated industry applications
– One-point of access to all spatial and tabular enterprise data
– Compliance to mandated "100% Oracle Solution" enterprise database
– Compatibility with Oracle 11g and Oracle 10g
GE Oracle Solution Suite
GE's Geospatial Oracle solution set consists of five modules that can be used individually or in various combinations:
Oracle Spatial SOM: Allows Oracle Spatial data to be used as if it were native Smallworld data, enabling view, edit, insertion, update and deletion of Oracle Spatial data from the Smallworld environment. Allows combined modeling of Smallworld and Oracle Spatial data.
Interface: Allows view and
analysis of Oracle data tables within the Smallworld session.
Figure 2. The combination of Oracle
tools from GE can be deployed to reach 100% Oracle database utilization.
Additional Benefits for the Network Utility Enterprise
The solutions provided for Oracle applications by GE can enable your organization to:
– Propogate changes, save time and reduce errors with one-time data edit or entry through GE products (in the field or office) through a centralized Oracle database, and out to financial, work management, customer information, and other corporate systems
– Reduce IT labor by implementing Smallworld Repository on Oracle, allowing the Smallworld and Oracle databases to be administered simultaneously
– Achieve improved system performance of spatial analysis applications with the carefully balanced client-server architecture that optimizes data storage and analysis
– Provide a current, seamless, and consistent database environment to department based applications across the enterprise